What Is The Best Cat Litter Mat?
Cat litter mats are supposed to trap cat litter that gets tracked out of the cat box. Basic mats don’t work well however and now there is a much better option. New mats are made with two layers. The top layer has holes that allow litter to fall through and get trapped. The bottom layer is solid and waterproof. It collects litter which can be vacuumed or poured out. I have tried many other styles. Two layer mats are my answer to what is the best cat litter mat.
Two Layer Litter Mats Trap Litter Better Than Other Styles
There are many brands that take advantage of this two part litter trapping design. Many of them should work well to trap litter. Whatever mat you get, I definitely recommend getting a two part litter mat. I have tried the velvety style mats which are nice and soft but they don’t do anything to trap litter. I have tried the rubber mats with grooves. Those would be my second choice after a two layer mat. Those work pretty well. The mats with curly, plastic fibers trap small litter but not larger litter pieces. They are also hard to clean since there is no easy way to get the litter back out of the mat.
Two Layer Cat Litter Mat Brands
Here are some brands of two layer cat litter mats.
They have more pros than cons and get high ratings in reviews on Amazon. The smaller Pet Champion mat is the brand that I am using. It is great but a bit small. I wish it came in a larger size. It is so affordable you could buy two however for less than many other mats. It is sometimes sold out on Amazon however.
FOCUSPET Cat Litter Trapping Mat
This is one of my first place choices. If you want a larger mat this is the one for you. It has some trade offs with the Pet Champion Mat below.
- Large size. 30 inches by 22 inches.
- More affordable than other large size mats
- Non slip bottom so it won’t slide around
- Rounded bumps on top layer make sure litter will all fall through to bottom
- One side open to dump out litter, three sides attached.
- Some say the larger size and stiffness make it harder to empty litter out without spilling
- Some cats don’t like to walk on it but others don’t mind. Some cats don’t like to walk on the other mats either. Cats are picky so it is hard to guess.
Pet Champion 2 Layer Sifting Easy Clean Waffle Pattern Litter Mat
This is the mat I use and one of my choices tied for first place.
- The most affordable two layer mat you will find!
- Works well and actually traps litter
- Gets good reviews by users. Over 100 reviews on Amazon.
- You can walk on this barefoot and not get litter on your feet! This is partly due to the stiffness of the foam layer on top.
- The small size and light weight makes it very easy to tip this mat over the garbage or back over the box to empty out the litter.
- Small. This mat is too small to put a litter box on top of it and still have it extend out to catch litter. You could set it in front of a small box if you have a small or neat cat. If you have large or rambunctious cats that spread litter all over or you want the mat to be under the box as well, you will need a larger mat or you might need several of these. I would definitely recommend getting several.
- Very stiff, and some reviews say it can slide on the floor. I have it on top of another flat mat so it does not slide around for me.
- Stiffness means some cats might not like to walk on the top layer. However some cats don’t like the other mats either. My 4 cats don’t mind this one.
KAG Cat Litter Mat
- Two sizes available, large is 24 by 30 inches.
- Soft top layer foam for sensitive paws.
- Easy to dump litter out.
- Comes in multiple colors including black and grey.
- Has high ratings with over 120 reviews on Amazon.
- Some say it is too soft and litter gets embedded in foam.
- Some say too soft so cats can claw it up.
- Some reviews say the bottom can get stuck to the floor and leave a sticky mess.
- Hard to vacuum litter back out.
- One reviewer said the smell attracted their cat and so their cat ended up peeing on the mat.
Black Hole Litter Mat Extra Large
- Soft on paws.
- Extra large size. 25 inches by 36 inches.
- Keeps litter off cat’s feet and yours.
- Comes in multiple sizes and colors including grey, black for Extra large size and also lime green and pink in large size.
- Slips around and litter slides out.
- Openings on both sides makes it easier for litter to get out and harder to empty without making a mess.
- Cats like to pee on it.
- Hard to get cat pee smell out of it.
- Makes house smell bad.
iPrimio Jumbo Size Cat Litter Trapper Litter Mat
- Largest size option than other brands at 30 by 32 inches.
- Soft top layer for paws.
- Catches litter
- Two sizes and two colors available.
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Only one side of the mat has the top and bottom layers attached. The other three sides are not attached so it is much easier for litter to escape.
- Small litter particles can become embedded like other soft topped mats
- Some reviewers say it slides around and litter does not stay inside
- Some reviewers say their cat likes to chew on it.
- The sides do not lay flat on the floor according to some reviewers.
Which 2 Layer Cat Litter Mat is Best For Your Cat?
I am partial to the Pet Champion mat but you need to buy several and put them together which is less convenient in some ways. If you had one under the litter box and one in front of it you could just leave the one under the box in place and empty out the one in front. The small size and light weight make this mat easy to empty out and clean. The stiffness of the top layer makes it harder for litter to adhere to it and large holes make it easy to clean.
If your cat is very sensitive and needs a very soft mat to walk on however, the other mats may work better. Some of them like the Blackhole and IPrimio mat can slide on the floor however and some reviewers say litter gets stuck to them.
For these reasons I recommend the FOCUSPET Cat Litter Trapping Mat if you want a larger mat or one that is softer than the Pet Champion. FOCUSPET is not the largest mat but it’s 3 sealed sides, honeycomb design to make sure litter falls through, waterproof bottom layer and non-slide bottom make it the best mat tied with the small but easy to use and affordable Pet Champion.
My Recommendations for Cat Litter Boxes and Litter
If you want to keep litter in the box, I also recommend a top entry litter box. You can read my recommendations here. Best Cat Litter Boxes to Keep Litter In.
Would you like a cat litter that is natural, non-toxic, low dust, naturally anti bacterial and controls odor without the mess of clay litters? Check out my favorite litter here. What is the Best Cat Litter? This litter also repels insects unlike corn or wheat based litters.
Thriving Cat makes use of affiliate relationships with merchants such as Amazon Associates for monetization. This means when you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in a small commission that is credited to this site. This does not affect purchase price and you will not pay a penny more.
Please leave any thoughts or questions in a comment below! I would love to hear from you.