Cat Food Puzzle Feeders
Puzzle Feeders Offer Great Benefits For Your Cat:
- A cat food puzzle feeder is a great way to give your cat an intellectual challenge and add interest to their day. It is a new toy! It gets them thinking and problem solving.
- Puzzle feeders can also help keep your cat from overeating if used in place of a regular food bowl. With a puzzle feeder, food is not available to gulp down by the mouthful! Cats need to get each piece of food out of the feeder first which takes a bit more time and slows down their eating. My cats still have wet food so they don’t need full servings of dry food as well.
- Puzzle feeders can also help if a cat is prone to eat too fast and throw their food back up. With a puzzle feeder they will have to slow down and eat smaller portions.
Popular Puzzle Feeders Reviewed
I first tried the Catit Senses Puzzle Feeder. This is a very popular model. It looks interesting and is a conversation piece! The real question for me was if it worked however.
How Does it Work?
The Catit Senses Puzzle Feeder is a large plastic feeder that takes up a good deal of space. If you are tight on space I might not recommend it. The dimensions are about 12 inches wide and a little over 13 inches tall.
It has three levels from which cats can retrieve dry cat food or treats. Food is placed at the top and can be knocked down through the levels to the tray at the bottom which circles around the entire feeder, The levels can be adjusted to make it easier or harder to get the food out. If the holes in the different levels are lined up, the food can fall through multiple levels at once. If the holes are offset, the food has to be manipulated through all the levels if it is starting at the top.
There are also holes in the side and some cats may reach in and pick up dry food with their paws and simply pull it out.
Do Cat’s Understand It and Use It?
This depends entirely on your individual cat. I did not keep this feeder since it was too easy for my smart girl and the boys never figured it out (or refused to use it). Therefore, my porky princess could still get food out quickly and it was not slowing her down much. This was the whole point, to slow her down and make her work for her food. Meanwhile my boys were not using it at all and I had to keep moving the food down for them so they could eat it out of the tray. I was not mean and didn’t just let them go hungry until they figured it out. I thought this is supposed to be fun for them!
So, if you have an intelligent and curious cat they may figure it out the first day and then chow down. If you have a timid, introverted cat they might not “get” it. If you just want to try it out for fun, it is a neat addition for a kitty home!
To be fair I dumped a ton of food in, so if there were only a few pieces of food it would take longer to get them out. I wanted this to take the place of their food bowl however and I have three cats so I put a lot of food in.
Bottom line, this is more like a toy for my smart girl and not so much a puzzle.
Downsides of Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree:
- It takes up a lot of space
- It may be too easy for smart cats
- It may not make sense for some cats and they won’t “get” it.
- Food can bounce out of the tray onto the floor.
Why I like Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree:
- It looks neat and is like a pretty green modern sculpture in your home.
- It has adjustable levels for difficulty that I did not fully use so it might work better than I realize.
- It is hard plastic and comes apart so it is easy to clean.
- Large food capacity in case you need to feed multiple cats but that makes it too easy for some.
- Large base makes it stable.
The Cat Amazing is another food/treat puzzle that can also be used with catnip or toys. While the Catit puzzle has three vertical levels, Cat Amazing has three levels going horizontally across the box. The outer box is divided into three difficulty levels by dividers inside. You can drop food or treats in through the holes on top and your cat has to get the food out by reaching in through the top or the sides to slide the food out.
Do Cats Understand it and Use it?
Yes! My smarty girl was once again the first to figure it out and that happened almost instantly on the beginner level. She reached in and pulled the food right out. She would have to work a bit harder on the other levels but they would simply take more time, she would not be stopped.
My shy boy even figured this out quickly on the beginner level. That was encouraging after the struggle to teach him how to use the Catit Senses tower.
The dividers are even colored in the shades that cats can see best and the booklet that comes with it shows the colors cats see compared to what humans see.
I think this puzzle feeder is the better choice for my kitties.
Downside of the Cat Amazing Food Maze:
- The Cat Amazing works but it is not as attractive as the Catit Senses tower. It is a fancy, sturdy and interesting cardboard box with special dividers and holes.
- It is cardboard and not something you want to have to take apart to clean.
- It can slide around the floor and not stay in place. I could put some non-slide matting underneath.
- There is nothing to keep food off the floor when they pull it out.
Good points of Cat Amazing Food Maze:
- It is compact and takes up just about 1.5 square feet. It is only a few inches tall so it could fit under a table to be out of the way.
- It works and my cats “get” it.
- It should be challenging enough to slow my greedy girl down.
- It is affordable on Amazon.com.
- Cats always like cardboard so it has built in appeal. Catnip can be added for extra love.
An Amazing Cat Food and Final Thoughts
If you want to see the cat food I feed my kitties which is natural, full of superfoods and the one brand that works for all my cat’s needs, please check out my review of this awesome food here. I used to feed it from a regular bowl but now put it in the puzzle feeder.
There are many puzzle feeders available but these two options are very unique and should give your cat a real challenge that is more than just fishing food out of a groove like some puzzle feeders. If you have any questions of comments about cat food puzzle feeders please leave me a comment below and I will get back to you soon! Do you have a favorite puzzle feeder? Let me know!
Thriving Cat only offers honest reviews and never recommends a product we wouldn’t use ourselves everyday. Thriving Cat makes use of affiliate relationships with merchants such as Amazon Associates for monetization. This means when you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in a small commission that is credited to this site.